Import the tax rates tables from TaxRates.com into your WooCommerce store and make maintaining your United States local taxes a breeze!
Setting up taxes and tax rates can be a real challenge when you are setting up an online store, especially when you consider that some states can have hundreds of local sales tax districts and zip code tax tables can have thousands of entries.
Now you can take the excellent free TaxRates.com 5-digit zip code tax tables and easily import these rate tables right into your WooCommerce store.
The current version of this plugin is version 1.1
If you have already purchased the plugin this is a free update. If you are unable to log into your account or find your original download link, please send us a support request to obtain the update.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How does this work?
WooCommerce already has great support for tax rates by localities, but it can be a real chore to manually update all those separate rates if you have to collect for multiple US states.
TaxRates.com provides an excellent free service to download frequently-updated tax tables by zip code, but before now there wasn’t an easy way to import these rate tables into your WooCommerce store.
This plugin brings these two features together by providing an upload mechanism to “translate” the files to the right format and get those tax rates where you need them.
- Is WooCommerce 2.0+ supported?
- Yes! Version 0.8 and higher support WooCommerce 2.0+.
- What other versions of WooCommerce are supported?
- This plugin was initially developed on WooCommerce version 1.6.4 and has been tested and updated for each of the versions since that release. If you are using an older version and would like to determine compatibility before you make a purchase, please Contact Us and we will determine if it is possible to support your version. However, we strongly recommend you keep your WooCommerce install up-to-date!
- How is this plugin different from the built-in WooCommerce 2.0+ CSV file importer?
- This plugin will import TaxRates.com files without having to modify them to fit the import format WooCommerce uses. This plugin also allows you to override the tax display on the cart and checkout pages for all the rates with one simple field.
- Where can I download recent tax tables?
- Download the Five Digit ZIP Code Rate Tables from TaxRates.com for import. The TaxRates.com tables are free with registration.
- What tax rates do I need to import?
- In nearly all cases, you will only need to import states in which you have a physical location. A large majority of users of this plugin will qualify for the Small Seller Exception. To qualify, a retailer must have less than $500,000 of total remote sales (in the United States) within the preceding calendar year. See marketplacefairness.org for more information.
- I only need to charge taxes for one state. Can I use specific states?
- Yes, TaxRates.com provides individual state tax tables. Only import the states you will need.
- I definitely need to charge tax in all states. Can I use all the states?
- We don’t recommend this plugin for users who want to import all 50 states. Here are a few disclaimers:
- The tax query in WooCommerce itself becomes very inefficient as there are approximately 40k rows when all states are imported. A custom paginated tax rates page is available in the admin to compensate for this, but the checkout can be very very slow!
- Don’t try this on shared or low-cost hosting. You won’t have enough processing power to do large queries.
- The import itself will take you a long time as it does one file at a time, and if you plan on updating the files monthly it’ll be a big headache!
- Does this plugin support countries outside the United States?
- No, this plugin has only been developed for United States tax rate tables from TaxRates.com.
- Will the import preserve my existing data?
- Existing local tax rates will not be overwritten unless the Label and State match the imported data. If the Label and State do match an existing data field then only the shipping, compound, and class fields are preserved from the existing data.
- Can I change the settings on an individual tax rate?
- Use the WooCommerce Tax Options Settings to update individual settings after import.
- What do you charge for updates?
- Updates are free! Join our mailing list to be notified of new releases. The plugin will also show a notification on the upload page when a new version is available.
- How many sites may I use the plugin on?
- You may use the plugin on as many of your own sites as you like! However, if you use it on a site you develop for someone else I ask that you buy a separate copy for each client instead of sharing one copy.
- Can I modify the code
- You may modify the code however you like, but please do not redistribute that modified code.
Found a bug? We want to hear about it! Visit our Support form to send us a note.
Want to hear about updates and news? Join our mailing list!
See the Release Notes for more information about a specific version.